Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Nice Weather for Ducks...


...but as someone in Ottawa reminded me today, at least I don't have to shovel it.

Yesterday was the type of day that begged for action other than what one is "supposed" to be doing. Sunshine=vacation for me to use up lately and use it I did. Macy and I headed to the French Shore in search of sunshine and the wind in our hair. The destination was Mavillette Beach near Meteghan. A far piece, I know, but the new truck needed a road trip and I needed a bit of this beach for my soul. It also gave me the opportunity to dust off some CDs and to sing along with them (Lenny got A LOT of airtime. Elton, not so much). The beach was surreal-the tide was in and the fog was on its way. Folks were swimming and sunning, regardless. A lovely drive complete with a stop for take-out fries and another for brown glitter at the Pharmasave (new product from Doodlebug Design Inc called sugar coating glitter. Colour name is dreamy: Bon Bon Glitter). Plus some hound-stops. We made it back in time for tennis - a makeup for one of the days cancelled due to rain. However, Thomas was sick!!! Bummer.

I'm going backwards in time for this post. Sunday Tim and Deb came over for beer can chicken and corn and Asian coleslaw and gin and tonic. Then we headed to Ross Creek to catch the final show of "Jerome"...it was FANTASTIC (aside from a cheesy moment at the beginning where a dude asked his girlfriend to marry him...this was not part of the story). The costumes astounding, the acting terrific, the use of the outdoor space ingenious. Well worth the price of admission.



A wonder that I got up Sunday morning at all, really. Tim and I went to Chester to help celebrate the end of Chester Race Week and celebrate we did. Dancing, dancing, dancing to the reggae sounds of The Hopping Penguins fueled by Dark And Stormys (with Goslings and REAL ginger beer, no less!). Tim graciously offered to drive as I had driven to the Wick last weekend). We didn't make it back to Kentville until 2:30.

Friday night Dawn and I met for coffee and people watching at Just Us in Wolfville. Great thing to do.

So a sampling of my social activities this past weekend. Other than these events, I managed to get all the laundry done, clean the house and take a few naps. Sweet.

PS-I could have painted the deck yesterday afternoon, but I would have denied my need to just drive (remember that part in Marion Bridge so eloquently delivered by Tracy a while ago at Centrestage? I was thinking of her when I was driving in my truck). Driving=peace; paint=a complete waste of the first sunny weekday in weeks. Sometimes, my soul needs to come first.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you say brown glitter? Nice.

Anonymous said...

The deck will always be there...sunny summer days, not so much. Glad to hear you continue to feed your soul with alone time and time spent with friends.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you filled your body & Soul...so good...living your moments today.

Just Plain Happy said...

The Mavilette Beach is beautiful, I saw it for the first time this year. A funny thing happened while walking Tommy up the boardwalk...he wasn't paying attention to where he was going and walked right off landing in the bushes. He had the funniest look on his face..wish I'd captured it on film. Thanks for reminding us to make the most of the sunny days.

Paul Melanson said...

A little late on the comment but...Mavillette rocks! It's the best kept secret in the Sou' West (Nova-that is). Beautiful in the sun, lovely in the fog, and great surfing when the hurricanes come up. And never crowded. I miss it already, especially this time of year.