This is my favourite new pic of the Hound. I love the light and the shadows and the look in her sweet eyes. It really does pay to have one's camera out and ready to go.
A busy, productive week. My favourite kind. Got loads done at work and even managed to take Wednesday off to get a few banking/lawyer related tasks done AND finish the Great Leaf Clean Up (until the wind blows the neighbour's leaves into my yard). I couldn't remember how to get the blower started so I took it to Griffen's where I got an awesome lesson on the purpose and function of the choke from a young guy who totally impressed me with his teaching skills (See? I would never get that type of spectacular service at a large box store that shall remain nameless).
Thursday night me and Shannon and Mike travelled to Berwick to attend a literary reading event. Scott had participated in a writer's workshop with none other that Christy Ann Conlin (she wrote "Heave"...a novel that held me in its evil grip for a few days). It was the last class and the participants had a public reading of their work. I MET CHRISTY ANN. I was like a deer in the headlights. I hope she didn't notice the red wine stain on my jeans that had been the result of me trying to clap whilst holding one of those plastic wine glasses! There are some amazing writers out there in our local midst. This workshop was an initiative put forth by the Writer's Federation of NS called "Rural Writes" in an effort to spread the love instead of all such opportunities being available only in Metro. The sucky part is, I was signed up to take this workshop and bailed at the last minute due to fiscal restraint. I am doing it next time. Trust Me.
The Supporting the Arts Theme continued last night. When I heard Jill Barber was coming to Wolfville and would be accompanied by Royal Wood I could not believe my luck. However, none of the usual suspects who would enjoy the concert were able to go. I decided it was too good to miss and I took myself on a lipstick-wearing date. I am SO GLAD I went. It was amazing....I laughed (and cried...glad it was dark) and got to sing along to my most favourite song. Not the type of crowd I expected, but a good one nonetheless. At least I wasn't as conspicuous as a poor dude who was also sans date....my row was full, but he had an empty seat on either side of him. In fact, as I was early, I noticed there were quite a few singletons there. The music was really, really, really good. Royal Wood is HANDSOME as all get out and oh, that voice. Jill was promoting her new album "Chances" which has a 30's/40's feel and she came out on stage in a cute little blue dress with black polka dots that she kept swinging around. She played with it like a little girl and it was totally effective. She is really down to earth. And, to top it off, she played my most favourite song on the new album for the encore: Oh My My. You can listen to it on her web page at the link above. The cool part was, she gave little "stories behind the songs" before most of them. Oh My My was inspired by an early morning dream she had about a woman having surgery for a broken heart. I like it for the sound, but yes, I admit, the lyrics resonate with me a wee bit. OK. A LOT.
Not a lot going on today....cleaning, a trip to the recycling depot and to Staples to get a new Cyan ink cartridge. Probably a Big Walk and a Big Nap in there, too. Evelyne has invited me for dinner tonight (she is making a vat of her amazinglydelicious spaghetti sauce today). And I liberated the big paper trimmer from the office for the weekend to get some creating done tomorrow.
A pretty good I-am-going-to-kick-November's-ass week.



4 comments:
I was thinking of you last night - I miss Nova Scotia music - did not realize you went solo - good for you! Thanks for the parcel - much appreciated by all, especially Maggie who went apes**t over the treat, you must send the recipe!
Taryn,
You have kicked November's Ass all year! So proud for you!
Jill
Hey Ass Kicker!
Go girl go! Glad to hear you are hittng the town in those pretty painted lips... AND I am holding you to attending that Writer's Workshop next year....after all you must have gotten the hint from your friends who read you here, that you do have the gift!
Good on Ya Girl! Now get out there and Kick some more of November's Ass!
I so LOVE Jill Barber...I wish I knew she was in town...could have been your date!!!! I guess I spend too much time blogging & not enough time looking at what's going on at our own doorstep LOL!!!!! Happy day Taryn
Post a Comment