Friday, July 27, 2007

Last weekend...




...we went to Milford House!

What the heck is Milford House, you say? I reply, "A wonderful place". My friend Jane has raved about it and finally this year I decided I needed to go. It is located on the #8 hwy on the way to Keji and has been there since the early 1900s. They have a special "2 nights for the price of 1" deal this summer if you have never been there before. This marketing tool has worked its magic on me. Before I got there, I kept wondering if it was like the setting in Dirty Dancing..you know, Kellerman's Resort? I was not disapointed.

It is camping without the cooking or cleaning! There are cabins to stay in (well equipped with books, games, a fireplace, fridge, kettle, dishes, shower, spiders and a journal where people can record their visits) and a main dining hall where you go for meals. Yep, that's right ladies...you GO there for meals. And when you come back from breakfast, your cabin has been visited by the cleaning fairy! Meals (dinner and breakfast) are INCLUDED in the price of your stay. The dining hall in the main lodge is quite beautiful and the staff are the most friendly I have ever met. It's like they are REALLY glad you are there! Kids would love the place I am sure, but it is like CAMPING for GROWNUPS!

As you can see by the pics, the cabins are nestled in the woods on a lake. And each cabin has its own dock. There are canoes to rent and trails to hike and covered porches underwhich to drink beer and read. There are a couple of beaches (if you don't mind leaches) complete with swimming platforms in the lake. And the woodland is beautiful....green, green, green with woodland sounds: birds, frogs, loons...we even saw a muscrat Saturday morning.

Macy and I went down on Friday afternoon and scoped it all out. My pal Evelyne was able to join us for Friday night (that is her truck parked by Finch cabin ...they all have names) and we had a great time. Dinner on Friday I chose seafood chowder followed by BBQ chicken with fruit salsa and vegetables AND Lemon Chiffon pie. Saturday breakfast was more like brunch and lasted me all day until dinner (OK-so I had beer and chips for lunch...sue me). After Evelyne left, Hound Dawg and I went for a hike and then came back to the cabin to read (The Birth House is SPECTACULAR...magical and lyrical...just a GOOD story...and set in Scots Bay which is just over by Blomidon!). Troy joined us Saturday evening. Dinner on Saturday for me was Red Tuscan soup followed by pan fried haddock and rice and vegetables and gingerbread with lemon sauce. Did you count that? I has desert TWO nights in a row. The menu is quite varied and ALL homemade-even the bread for toast.

We enjoyed our evening...Troy even pulled out a copy of Treasure Island and relaxed a little bit. He's been REALLY busy with work. Sunday morning he went for a run and I drank coffee on the porch. We then went to brunch and headed for home. The only complaint I had was that we didn;t get to stay longer!

2 comments:

Just Plain Happy said...

Okay, you MAKE me want to go to Milford House. We have driven by a gazilion times on our way to Keji but have never stopped in. Did you know the main lodge burnt to the ground and they rebuilt it exactly as it was. Love the pics, glad you had a great weekend!

Anonymous said...

Me too....sounds like my kind of place... looked it up on the Internet....nice for a fall retreat!! mom