Friday, August 03, 2007

My Life...on Vacation

My friend Jill...she finds the coolest things on the internet. Check this out:

Your Life Path Number is 3

Your purpose in life is to express your unique self.

You are a creative and artistic person with an interesting view on life.
Witty and outgoing, you enjoy sharing your crazy ideas with anyone who will listen.
A total social butterfly, you're the life of any party.

In love, you inspire and enchant your partner. You are often an object of fantasy and desire.

While you are very talented, you sometimes lack the ambition to put your talents in play.
And while your wit carries you a long way, you occasionally use it to mask your true feelings.
Your natural abilities can bring you all the success in the world ... if you let them


So here it is Friday...the last official day of my vacation. Sigh. It has been good, tho. We (we being me and Troy and his parents and sister and her son and her son's friend) drove to PEI last Saturday, convoy style, and rented a cottage in Cavendish. Troy had to turn around and come back Sunday afternoon as he needed to be back for work, but at least he got a game of golf in). This was not exactly in the plan, but it was how it worked out and I was invited to stay. Lots of coffee talk in the mornings after the boys left for golf, shopping, meals right at the cottage, laughs, shopping, a trip to Charlottetown, Tina and I had a rousing game of mini golf (fun!), shopping, Cow's ice-cream (have ya tried the toasted coconut??????), watching Trav and Matt at Sandspit (perfect summer night weather), shopping, an afternoon and picnic at the Beach and visiting the Haunted Mansion (used to be the Kensington Water Gardens). Whew! Came home Wednesday night.

Cavendish still rocks. I know, I know. But it really does. There is nothing quite like the North Shore of PEI in the summer. It's funny-you drive by a lot of places that were there when you were a kid, but you also drive by a lot of things that are now defunct and host a crop of tall weeds or new enterprises. Gone? The drive-in, Capt. Bart's Adventure Park (you know...the place with the space shuttle), that mini-golf place with the little huts, Fiddles and Vittles, Rainbow Valley, the wax museum, Green Gables Golf Course (!). Still there? Ripley's, Grandpa's Old Time Photo Studio, Sandspit, King Tut's Tomb, Marco Polo Land, the Boardwalk. New? Shining Waters water park, Wax World of the Stars, Avonlea Village, new resturants and a pub. My only dissapointment? I found out the Kitchen Witch closed. About 10 years ago (!).

At least the beauty of the surroundings never change: the colour of the ripening wheat, the green fields, blue sky, billowy clouds, blue straight line of the sea horizon, rolling hills, red dirt. I always feel a real comfort when I am there.

Jean and Tim and I went to Domaine de Grand Pre last night for Martini Night. It was great. Martinis are 5$, there is a tapas menu and there is live music on the Pergola. I love going. I had an Emerald City and later a Godfather for drinks and a lobster spring roll, two coconut shrimp with mango salsa, and a trio of (lamb, pork and beef) mini burgers. The music was a crooner from Austraila singing all the classics: Summertime,On the Street where you Live, etc. A beautiful evening.

Today's project is painting the front stoop. And getting to my paper crafts projects: the ATC swap, the C'Mas Cards for the troops and my book club homework. Ambitious, huh?

Oh-and I have a new book to read for the hammock: The Secret Life of Bees :)

Vacation, sweet vacation.

3 comments:

Just Plain Happy said...

Ohhh... Taryn, I LOVE your life! Actually, I LOVE that you LOVE Life! You need to write books, I mean that! You have a natural ability to put your reader in the place. I can feel PEI, I remember it exactly as you describe it. I have never been to the restaurant you described but I can hear the music, smell the outside air, taste the food, feel the mood.Do write! Oh, and you will love the 'Secret Life of Bees', I did.

Anonymous said...

Oh My God!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The Kitchen Witch!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You are the first person who knew about the place when I mentioned P.E.I.!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The greatest spot ever!!!!!!!!!
THE BEST COCONUT CREAM PIE!!!!!!!!!!
We stayed in Stanley Bridge at the Week's Bed and Breakfast for about 10 summers with the girls when they were little.
All of us,including Adelaide and Milton Weeks, went to the Kitchen Witch as often as possible!!!!!!!!!!!
Taryn, you've given me back such a beautiful memory of our special summer vacations that I'm crying, remembering such fond times!!!!!!!
Many thanks and LOTS OF LOVE!!!!!!
gayle

Anonymous said...

I have always loved cavendish too Taryn. Had a great time there many times. I think we'll go back next summer for sure.