Thursday, April 10, 2008

A Lesson in Making Rape Pie

Oh, but sometimes I wish I was born Acadien! But at least I can pretend.

Paul gave me a lesson in making rape pie the other night. You can buy all of the ingredients at a place in Claire ( vat of broth, diced chicken and bag of potato minus starch) which takes A LOT of the prep work time out of it for a measly 25 bucks.

So first you have to reconstitute the potato with hot broth (that is what is boiling in the pot) and it takes a lot of mixing. You add these wonderful salted onions and lots of pepper along the way. Then you put a layer of the potato mixture in a pan and add a layer of chicken (or bottled clams-we made one of each. Bottled clams are gold, btw. One of these pics is of me cutting the clams while the Rape Pie King supervises) and carefully put another layer of potato on top.

The finished product went home with me as I was to cook them the next day (God Bless my programmable Kitchen Aid oven-thank you, Marilyn and Ron!). Put butter on top and bake for 3 hours, putting more butter on top near the end of the cooking time to ensure a crispy brown top. The corners of the pan are coveted for this reason. Isabelle and Paul came to help me cart the pies back to their place where we enjoyed the feast with Jane, Amanda, Brian and Sophie complete with local wines.

We had it with mustard pickle and tomato chow. If you are from Claire, you eat it with butter. From Pubnico? Ketchup. From New Brunswick? Brown sugar. From Kentville? Mustard pickle and tomato chow!



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mmmm Mmmm Good! I love this stuff, with butter, because I learned to eat it with a friend from Wedgeport. Another friend from Yarmouth bakes it with bacon on the top - also yummy! And I would have to agree that the corners are where it's at!

Just Plain Happy said...

Hmmm! never tried the 'clams avec' version usually have it with chicken. TFS!

Anonymous said...

Hey, we have a totally different version of that in Cocagne...we'll have to swap recipes! Of course I was never lucky enough to do it without the homemade washboard (made of copper attached to a wooden frame). You guys cheated (so will I next time - maybe that's why I don't make it often).
jo

Back in the valley said...

Okay...so I'm the only one who has tried it and thought it was vile...must be the "not born in NS" thing. I remember these crazy people from Weymouth going on and on about this stuff so I tried it...reminded me of the cream of wheat they tried to make me eat in the hospital that I would flush down the toilet when the nurse left...
Annie