Saturday, June 28, 2008

Another Hidden Treasure

OK. So I have seen this place off to the right of the highway to Yarmouth just beyond where the controlled access ends after Digby many times and yesterday I decided to take an early lunch and stop in. This is the coolest place on my Planet right now: Graff Brothers Salvage.



Two old school houses filled with and surrounded by what looks like junk. These pics do not show you the true extent of what is around! The little school house was pulled out of the woods beyond Concession and brought to this site by the owners (as told by Keith...a true hippie complete with bandanna and scruffy beard). The next pic shows the inside of the schoolhouse (complete with old chalkboard...you can still see lessons scratched on it!) and some of the stuff.



As I went inside the Big School, there was an old credenza with a record (vinly!) of Classical Music playing (there was rock music playing in another room....). When I say there was everything from soup to nuts, I mean it! And the thing is, the more you poke around, the more you see it is sort of organized: book room, doors and windows in another room, vats of nails and screws and a room devoted to stoves of all types: old fashioned granny's kitchen wood stoves, electric stoves and tiny cast irons stoves PERFECT FOR AN OUTDOOR FIRE PIT!


So yes, I bought this one. Do you not love it?! All it needs is a scrub with a wire brush and some stove black (if I was so inclined). Keith is going to find me a piece of flue and a cap to keep the sparks down. The oval cover on the top slides off to the side for loading! Check out the scroll work on it! All for a measly $100! I have to take the Swamp Tiger on a road trip to go get it.


Apparently, if you go on a Saturday or Sunday, there are tons of folks there bargining and bartering! Keith said you can bring anything you might want to trade.

So you see, my job has taken me to yet another new place with all sorts of hidden treasures!

5 comments:

JMFS said...

do you want paul to pick it up for you next week?? call us!

D said...

Missed that spot, have to check it out on a trip down that way

Just Plain Happy said...

Okay, I am going to take a leaf from your book (not literally) and stop at these little places I often see and drive by. Yes, I AM going to do it! TFS!

Angie said...

Great find....with the stove and the store!! Happy hunting!!!

Anonymous said...

What a find!!! This will be so fun outside!!!! Good hunting!!! I love old stuff ( not cheap dollar store stuff!!!!)