Thursday, April 30, 2009

Tuesday: Shopping in Playa del Carmen

But before that, I want to share how much I loved the margaritas! can you tell from the pic??? Not too sweet, and yumalicious. This pic was taken Monday night at the bar in the main building open-air gathering spot where there was live music every night. Folks of all ages dancing, laughing and generally having an awesome time.

Tuesday, on the advice of the Transat travel rep that was at the hotel, we waited until later in the day to go visit the seaside town of Playa del Carmen (about a 15 minute cab ride). We went shopping on 5th Avenue. A groovy little street! Bartering is the expected norm and if you are not used to it, it can be harrowing. I always felt like I was trying to rip someone off! Here I am in a sunglasses shop sporting the only piece of Prada I will ever have on my body. The price tag on these puppies was a mere $350 US. There was a pair of D&G ones we beat down to $93 US, but given my per chant for losing sunglasses, I decided the $ would be better spent elsewhere. But I kept thinking of those damn glasses and now I realize I should have bought them, dammit.

And here are Marilyn and I with the typical I'm- in-Mexico-I-gotta-have-a pic-of me-in a-sombrero-photo. How many times do you think these were put on by tourists that day? They were on the top of the pile. Dude in the background got quite a kick out of us.

And here is a pic of poor, long-suffering Troy as he waits for Marilyn and I outside one of the many shops. His favourite part of Playa? The fact that you could walk into a grocery store, buy a can of beer that was cheaper than a bottle of water, and consume it as you walked down the street!

And such a pretty little street it was...check out the flowers in this pic. Apparently, it is spring in Mexico which we got quite a kick out of considering our usual spring temps.

All in all, Playa was a trip worth doing. Troy went in again the next afternoon for the Bachelor Party and he said it was even groovier at night.
Apparently, other than the fact that the Boys went to Senor Frogs and did the conga around the bar followed by a shot of tequila, we girls were not privy to the details. The Bachelorette was another story! Stay tuned!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Keep the details coming. Love hearing all about your trip, as I have to live vicariously thru other people with their trips south.

Amy said...

Ok, a bachelorette party in Mexico!? How fun! All this talk is making me want to elope...for real! ;o)
You & Marilyn look like twins...cute pic! Lovin' all the Mexico posts...keep 'em coming!