Saturday, March 24, 2007

A Whole Week

My last post seems like ages ago. I don't have any pics to put in at the moment so I wasen't going to, but then I read Josee's blog and was inspired-she didn't have any pics on her last post, either.

I spent a few days in Halifax this week at a Feed Session (an annual "meeting of the minds" for the commodity I work in). I just love visiting that city. The cannon went off at noon Tuesday and a few jumped "what was that!" but us former Halogonians knew what it was! The session was held at The Citadel Inn...not a bad place...just an old hotel that was tried to be retrofitted into one of those "boutique" hotels that are all the buzz. Friendly folk, tho. I made it to Spring Garden Road for a bit of shopping (and some dodging of panhandlers) but it was close to closing time so I didn't shop long. However, I did walk away with a new running jacket and a maple sugar cone from Sweet Jane's. We went out to the Old Triangle for a pre-retirement celebration Wednesday night and it was a late one...I never want to break my midnight rule again! The next day was a bit rough for most of us. A good group of people I work with...I am fortunate, indeed!

Last night a group of us got together for dinner at the pub...a group of us that we have trying to make happen for a very long time...and it was really fun. Troy has two friends he has known for a while and we got together with them and their wives. Too funny to hear their reminicent stories...you never really can take the boy out of the man, you know? Capped off the evening in Tammy and Trevor's hot tub :)

I have had a request to post Joline's Toblerone Fudge recipe so here it is:

Ingredient list:1/2 cup sugar, 1/2 cup butter, 3/4 cup evaporated milk, 1 tolerone bar (400g-Presiden't Choice will suffice).

Line a 8" pan with parchment paper before you even begin (if you have never worked with this miracle tool, you will love it. It rocks when it comes to lining baking sheets, etc...I converted my mother when she was here in November). Leave edges overlapping the pan so you can pull out the fudge when it is set.

Break up the bar and set aside.

Put sugar, butter and sugar in a saucepan on medium heat and bring to a rolling boil. Stir CONSTANTLY for 5 minutes (this, according to Jo, is the crucial step). It seems to take FOREVER to even get to a boil, but it will. Don't fret.

Remove from heat and dump in the chocolate. Stir until bar is completely melted. Quickly pour into pan (I had to smooth it out with the back of a warm spoon).

Let set in the fridge for at least three hours. Lift out the paper (hence lifting out the fudge) and cut. Much easier to cut this way instead of right out of the pan.

Take to bookclub and watch it dissapear. Even people who say, "Oh, no thanks. I don't like fudge" succomb. Bring an extra piece for those type of people :)

Have a wonderful weekend!

PS-Pomtinis ROCK. Thanks, Tammy!

5 comments:

Just Plain Happy said...

Thanks for the fudge recipe! And for those who haven't been lucky enough to try it, DO! It is delicous!

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much Taryn,
I'm sure it will get put to good use..on my hips, my thighs.....
You & kathryn were so spectacular last week, I trust you know that.It was such a great night. :)
Who is retiring????

Taryn said...

Thank you, girls :) As far as the trifle, just layer angel food cake, stewed rhubarb, PC Devon custard mixed with real whipped cream, two times. Then top with a little reserved cream and toasted almonds.

Paulette, the retirement is for Phillip Rand. Real retirement dinner will be mid April. Anyone is invited...let me know if you would like to attend.

Taryn said...

And strwberries...don't forget the strawbwrry layer....duh....

Anonymous said...

Wow...two recipes in one blog...will definitely try...and yes, I am a parchment paper convert..how did I live without it? Old dogs can learn new tricks. Mom