Thursday, December 27, 2007

Maybe Santa Isn't Dead Afterall

Holiday Update...

I went to work on Christmas Eve and then out to lunch with workmates afterward. Came home to walk the Hound in glorious sunshine and had a little nap. Kim and Shane picked me up at 5:30 and we went to Deb and Jeff's for a nice,intimate little gathering.I had a bit of a hard time emotionally when I came home and went to bed early.

Christmas Day I was up early, made a fire, opened my gifts. Some lovely things from friends and family. Santa had left a sock for each of the pets and they opened those. Macy would take one thing out of her sock at a time, put it over by the coffee table, go back and get something else...lunged and growled at Zeut when he went near it. Then I made a trifle and got ready to go to the Soup Kitchen in Kentville.

A humbling experience, to be sure. I was in the background packing up care packages of donated baked goods and then putting dessert on plates. There were about 80 guests and everyone was served by members of the community. They all left with some sort of gift whether it be flowers or a centrepiece. It was a good thing to do. Thanks, Deb for taking me under your wing.

I came home just after 2 and called my mom. While I was on the phone with her, there was a knock at the door and lo and behold, it was Troy come to wish me a Merry Christmas. He was laden with gifts and other treat (an entire mincemeat pie and peanut butter balls and magic cookie squares from his mom, a sock filled to the brim, and gifts for me and the pets). It was nice...he stayed for a few hours and we had a glass of wine and he had a piece of fruitcake. I was impressed that I kept it all together and was reasonably animated. I was just so pleased he was here. Then he left to go have turkey dinner with his family and I went to my friend Evelyne's place for a yummy C'Mas dinner of BBQ t-bone steak.

The Boxing Day weather was fantastic and the Hound and I went for a long walk and then we had a good nap. I then rubbed the sleep from my eyes and went over to Beth and Derren's for turkey dinner. There was about 15 people there (Beth's family) and it was good to see them all again. Beth and Derren walked me home and I went to bed early.

Which brings me to today. I am off to work this morning...hope the weather does not get too bad.

I made it through Christmas...now there is the New Years hurdle.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so proud of you!!!!!!!!!!
You shared yourself with people in need in Kentville, you smiled while opening your gifts and yes, Christmas day came and went and you went to bed with a genuine smile on your face!!!!!!
You are a remarkable person Taryn,strong,resourceful and an inspiration to many others!!!!!!!!!!
I said this before,but, I wish you would put your writings down for more people to read-YOU HAVE A RARE GIFT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Lots of love,
gayle

Anonymous said...

Yeah for you- you did it and it was OK...

Way to go Taryn...so proud for you.

Take care of you!

Just Plain Happy said...

One day at a time... don't look ahead... keep yourself busy....no time to think...you are doing all of the above...you are getting through all of this with.... grace and dignity and when on the otherside, you will be able to look back and be proud of you, as we are.

Anonymous said...

baby steps & focusing on the now... that is life & what makes us strong. You are doing all of this & sooner than you think the hardest times will be behind.Rock on rock on...