Friday, February 15, 2008

"Me" Day

Well. I turned V-Day into "Me" Day. I booked it off from work (my annual Personal day-gotta love working for the Public Service) a couple of weeks ago.

Around noon, I went to the Designer Cafe in Kentville (new spot on Main Street-very nice) to spend my C'Mas gift certificate and to immerse myself in the book Troy gave me for C'Mas. Some books just deserve special attention, and the Kite Runner is one of them. I ordered a latte (OK-it was the BEST latte I had ever had) as well as a Raspberry Orange Cheesecake muffin. Doug told me to find a spot and I selected a club chair that looked comfy. He brought it over and holy smoke-look at that-there was a little heart on it and it was in my favourite colour cup! Delicious, and when I told him that he replied, "Oh-you make me so happy-will you be my Valentine?" OK, OK-he said that to every dame in the place-but it was still nice.

Then it was over to the BeLeaf Aveda Spa across the street. Troy had given me a gift certificate for there for C'Mas, too. I ponied up the extra to get the full Carribean Experience. A foot soak, followed by exfoliating body scrub followed by intensive moisturizing self-warming mud on back and bottoms of feet followed by a full body relaxation massage. Oh my god. And she did this one part where she sat at the head end of the table and cradled my head in one arm (and then the other) and massaged the sides of my face and temples...I am not ashamed to say that when she changed sides, I realized I had been crying. Afterward, she touched up my mascara and put "Grapefruit Pulp" lip gloss on me. I strutted into Home Hardware to buy stuff Shane needed for the bathroom reno like I should have had an entourage behind me.

Crapper seals and vanity taps. Such glamorous purchases. Oh well. Even princesses need the basics.

Shane and Kim (bless them!) came over after they got off work to remove the crapper and crappy vanity (yeah!). Looks pretty empty in there. Macy was confused as to why there was a toilet in the office. Don't worry-I have taken pictures. Flooring dudes coming this afternoon and then Shane will re-set the crapper after work.

And then I decided a should probably get out of the house, so after Macy's walk, I went to the movies. What I REALLY wanted to see was "No Country for Old Men", but Noooooo, it was gone after only being here a freakin' week. Go figure- crappy movies stay, good ones go. Typical Valley. I decided to go see "The Bucket List" instead. It was OK. I kept thinking I should be getting more out of it. There were lots of couples there (duh!). Sigh. I just looked straight ahead and drowned my sorrows in nachos and cheese.

So, then I came home and read a bit and went to sleep. Happy V-Day to me.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

O.K.Taryn!!!!!!!!!
This may sound a bit odd!!!!!!!!!
I know that I have a great life-BUT-I am beginning to live through you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The things that you have been doing, the friends that have helped out etc.,not only make me VERY PROUD OF YOU, and them, but I notice that I have to spice up my own life a little bit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am definitely going to try the spa, the Halifax eating spot and our own new Kentville cafe!!!!!!!!!!!!
And as I have always said to you"Why are you not writing a book"?
Anything-short stories, anything!!!!!!!!
When you write, you put us in the room with you!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Keep up the FABULOUS work!!!!!!!
lots of love,
gayle

Angie said...

You certainly had a pampered day! I too am not a big v-day fan, but did have an awesome supper with my husband and kids. I let everyone pick whatever they wanted to eat and I prepared it. I had gone to the dollar store and bought some table decor and decked my table out...As Brayden might say, "it was off the hook!" lol

Angie said...

I added you to my link list cause I just realized you were not there!!!

Anonymous said...

Not to be bitter or anything but even those of us who have a partner don't have it that good! I am banning V-day next year. I mean you try and make it simple by showing them exactly which candy to buy and they look at you V-day night like you are the cleaning lady. So as I handed the big friggin heart-shaped box of candies to Marc he can only reply with...Sorry...I had them in my hand at the store and then I thought of windsheild washer...and then I forgot! NICE! Hey did I mention we've been married for ten years??!!

Gisela said...

Sounds like you had a lovely day. Alistair and I went to the garden centre and bought each other some plants. I don't like cut flowers much, they don't last long. He just finished reading Kite Runner, by the way. He thought it was good.

Just Plain Happy said...

Hmmm! Taryn...I see problems looming with this post.... are you feeling a little like Ann Landers now?? I am (or thought I was) a happily married woman of 32 years and not only is V-day, V-day but it is MY (okay our) anniversary. Did I get treated to a spa? Did I go out to a lovely dinner? No....but Stampin' Stud did bring me flowers and I guess that will have to do. I'm glad you had a great PERSONAL Day and are taking care of the very SPECIAL you!