Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Snow Day

So I get up yesterday morning, notice how crappy the weather is, and turn on the radio. Our storm policy is that when Greenwood base and/or the Research Station is closed to only essential personelle, we have a snow day. No notices. Crap.

I make it to work, only to see Marion, the cafeteria goddess, leaving. "What's the scoop?" She says, "closed till noon". Crap. I'm there, I might as well stay because the drive in was so awful, but I won't get my Marion McMuffin.

I'm the only one there until my supervisor shows up and then and hour later, there is a booming intercom message "The Station will be closed for the rest of the day." Crap. I decide to weather the storm so to speak and stay. He decided to leave. And then, another voice from above: "The power will be turned off in 2 to 5 minutes. There is a downed power line in the back parking lot and NS power is here to fix it." Crap! I work fast to print what I had to print and shut 'er down. I guess I pretty well have to go home, now.

I stopped at Chisholm's and bought stamps and two magazines (Martha and Real Simple), and went home. It had, of course, stopped being so crappy out. There was a message from my friend Jane on the machine. She was home for a snow day. So I grabbed Macy and off we went. We played in the snow in their fenced in backyard for a bit (snow was so deep poor Hound Dog could only run in paths we created!) and then Jane invited us in. She and Isabelle made us lunch and we had a lovely time. Thank you, Jane.

Went home with tea bags I had pilferred from Jane and made a fire and was in flannel with a dog in my lap. I had an appointment at 4 and managed to get to that. And when I came home, my hero-neighbour Troy (he should buy himself a cape) had snowblown BOTH driveways.

All in all, a pretty darn good snow day. Except that Book Club was cancelled. Crap.

3 comments:

Just Plain Happy said...

Hi Taryn,
Just catching up on my Blog reading. We had a very nice weekend at the cabin. Love that you are getting such great use from your camera, Great pics! I was so looking forward to BC but Gayle made the right decision...we shouldn't have been on the roads. Take care and hopefully, we will see you before next BC which is now on the 24th March.

Angie said...

I wonder if you will get any bonus points for being the only employee brave enough to weather the storm? Probably not!!
I am glad the kids had school today, but it sure was bitter cold at the bus stop! brrrr...-10 (but it was that wet cold that felt like your boogers were frozen!!! lol

Back in the valley said...

Did you see that a Beagle won Best in Show at the Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show...
Annie