The above quote is from a blog that I visit everyday. Ali Edwards is an artist for whom I have enormous respect. I was introduced to her via books we had in our bookclub and I love her style. And her approach to life. So when I saw this quote, it reasonated with me because it reminds me of the value of just being nice. I may not become an influentail politician or a feminist champion, but I can still make a difference. One of the things I have discovered is that this happens when May Mae Louise Sanchez and I go for our daily walks. Because of her, many different people have stopped just to chat. And I see some of these members of our community quite often. A smile one day, a chat the next...and it usually begins with :"I used to have a rabbit hound just like that" and then they open up. Last week, an older gentleman (who, upon getting closer, I realized was probably on his way to the Olde English if you get my drift) got tears in his rhumey eyes and revealed how he missed his wife so much since she had passed on. He asked me if I was married and when I said no he said, "well, you should be...a good lookin' woman like you". Another guy, who I see a lot on his bike and looks like he has no place to go, had a discussion with us last night about his pets he had had in his life and for a moment, his sad eyes lit up. So it is in these moments that I remember I can have an impact even if I never assume greatness according to the World Definition. If Macy and I can bring a little light to a cloudy day for someone, then this is our path.
Friday, March 21, 2008
Today, Friday, promises to be Good
The above quote is from a blog that I visit everyday. Ali Edwards is an artist for whom I have enormous respect. I was introduced to her via books we had in our bookclub and I love her style. And her approach to life. So when I saw this quote, it reasonated with me because it reminds me of the value of just being nice. I may not become an influentail politician or a feminist champion, but I can still make a difference. One of the things I have discovered is that this happens when May Mae Louise Sanchez and I go for our daily walks. Because of her, many different people have stopped just to chat. And I see some of these members of our community quite often. A smile one day, a chat the next...and it usually begins with :"I used to have a rabbit hound just like that" and then they open up. Last week, an older gentleman (who, upon getting closer, I realized was probably on his way to the Olde English if you get my drift) got tears in his rhumey eyes and revealed how he missed his wife so much since she had passed on. He asked me if I was married and when I said no he said, "well, you should be...a good lookin' woman like you". Another guy, who I see a lot on his bike and looks like he has no place to go, had a discussion with us last night about his pets he had had in his life and for a moment, his sad eyes lit up. So it is in these moments that I remember I can have an impact even if I never assume greatness according to the World Definition. If Macy and I can bring a little light to a cloudy day for someone, then this is our path.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



4 comments:
just reaffirming RAKS don't you think :o) happy kind Easter Taryn...
Oh Taryn, You have brought tears to my eyes. Thanks for sharing the quote and for sharing an insight into yours and Macy's life. It truly is the 'little' things in life that are important, isn't it? And really it is simple acts of human kindness that can make this ole' world a better place. Give Macy a hug for me, will you? and a BIG HUG to you Too!
Happy Easter
Amen....
I just saw your post and I so get it. I get "stories" at work too. At first it kind of anoyed me. Why, I had better things to do... I have since softened my heart and now cherish those "stories" because these people are kind and need an open heart. I now feel honoured that they would think I am the kind of person they can trust with their life "stories".
Thanks for being kind too.
Jo
Post a Comment