Thursday, March 13, 2008

A Whole Week???

Has it really been a whole week since I last posted??? Geeze Louise.

OK. So you know how people say, "when I retire I want to do (insert the thing)"? I never got that until Tuesday. I needed to go to Port Saxon (a three hour tour-one way) and the weather was perfect for driving. I had made a birthday card for my brother the night before and since it was a little bigger than the standard postal rate, that meant stopping somewhere on route to post it. On the way back from the inspection, I saw a little sign pointing the way to a Canada Post outlet in Port Joli. So I drive onto the Robertson Loop and I find this gem. A tiny room, complete with woodstove and comfy chair on the left and a little postal counter complete with a rack of rubber stamps and slots for people's mail. I was in love. There was no one there, but the sign said open. A woman came across the road from the big farmhouse and posted my envelope. I couldn't contain myself, "I love this place!" She replied, "Tourists like it, but the residents don't...too small". They are nuts. I mean, I could so see myself being the postmistress with a pot of tea or coffee on depending on the time of day waiting to dispense mail and pleasantries with the villagers. Then again, I do have a thing about mail and the whole idea of it.

Wednesday brought an unexpected, unpleasant suprise. I woke up, got out of bed, and felt a very strange pain in my abdomen on the lower right. It hurt to bend over. I couldn't stomach any coffee. By the time I was ready to go to work, I was nausiated. Now, the type and position of the pain was something I had never experienced before so I decided it warranted a trip to the l'hopital. By this time, the pain would grip my gut every minute for 3-4 seconds. I am thinking appendix. I was seen by the Doc within the hour (!) and he decided I had pulled an abdominal muscle during the night in a coughing fit (!!!). I am thinking, uh...it isn't that type of pain...I have pulled muscles there before...but he said if it got worse, to come back. I think he must have been pulling a double shift. He looked like crap, the poor guy.

So, I go to work. Choke down half of a bagel with peanut butter. An hour later I am doubled over. By 11 I think it might be best to wrap it up. By noon, I can't stand up straight and feel like I am going to throw up and the pain is all around my abdomen and includes my back. I am so distressed that I shun the suggestion of going to the clinic in Wolfville because I don't think I can drive that far and I go back to the Valley Regional. The room is full to overflowing. After being screened by the nurse and having a take-your-breath-away episode, I took a seat in one of the red chairs to wait. And before I know it, miraculously, my name is called! Apparently Kim, the nurse (bless her), decided to put me at the head of the cue. A Dr.Bowden took on my case. She had a very different approach from the other doctor...mindful and methodical. Great bedside manner. After all was said and done (after 5 xrays, bloodwork and a urinalysis) the pain was gone. She was at a loss. Xrays and labs fine. Minimal tenderness. So she said there was no sense in waiting at the hospital...that I could wait at home since I lived so close...and sent me home with a note to be off work for the rest of the week and instructions for a liquid diet, rest and told me to come right back if it happened again because then she would order a cat scan.

One thing I did realize during my time in the hospital was that the place needs help. I was struck by the tight quarters, the tired paint, the old machines. I was equally struck by how dedicated and efficient the staff were with minimal resources. I think the Valley Regional Foundation is going to get my donation dollars this year.

I still can't believe I was in and out in 2.5 hours. So far, so good...just tenderness. I thought I felt it coming on again this morning, but it did not develop. I still don't feel right. I was exhausted yesterday afternoon...came home and slept for 2 hours. The Doc said there is a weird bug out there and it may be some virus has taken up residence. The good news is, it isn't a blockage or appendix or gall bladder or kidney stones.

So today will be a quiet day.

7 comments:

Just Plain Happy said...

Taryn, I am glad everything is okay and glad you listened to the voice that said 'Go to the hospital'. Take good care of you!

Anonymous said...

being mindfull & aware are good things...so is taking a breather...
so much stuff vout there these days, no wonder diagnosis is so hard..take care my friend

Anonymous said...

Oooh! I hope the boo-boo goes bye-bye. Oops you're not six...bad habit. Are you eating right...oops I'm not your mom...damn! I can't stop.

PS I JUST LOVE that picture!!! WOW! I can almost feel the breeze.
(as long as I don't look out my window at the wall of snow...)

love jo

Anonymous said...

Well, you looked great when I saw you - maybe a little tired. So I am glad that you are getting the rest you need. Remember, if you need anything, just call.

Back in the valley said...

Sounds like a two person operation at the post office, count me in!! I would love to have a small sandwich shop like the one in Kentville that makes the best garlic chicken bacon wraps!!
Annie

Angie said...

Taryn you freak....you just needed to poop!!!! ha ha ha

I agree with Paulette, there are so many new viruses and flu's that no wonder every trip to the ER just leaves you pissed off and more confused. Hope that was the end of it for you!!! This morning I had some simular cramping and had to sit down for a half an hour to let it subside, and it did!!! Too early for baby yet!!!

Anonymous said...

I love that "Titanic" pose"...just breathe in and feel deeply all that life brings to you...maybe this is what living fully is all about! Love, your mom